Thursday, September 24, 2009

Getting to the point

Watched bits of Moammar Gaddafi's UN speech last evening. It was the most entertaining bit of television I'd seen in a long time. Delegates in the audience were laughing, others sleeping. He looked a little insane, ripping out pages of the UN charter, talking about JFK and jet lag. Great theatre.
But then, when I watch Obama speak, it seems just as theatrical to me as Gaddafi's vaudevillean act. The idealistic tilt of his head, the tone of idealistic seriousness, the political correctness, the diplomatic hoops he makes us jump through without saying a thing.

It's just a question of language. Both talk a lot of shit. Both also make sense - in a way that's bizarre to the other. Both are sincere and speak from the heart. Both mince the truth.

But if you ask me who I'd pay to hear - my money's on Gaddafi.

No comments:

Post a Comment