Sunday, June 21, 2009

Iran

I keep track of the protests in Iran, post the election results. And I wonder what it would take for me to risk being executed by an autocratic regime. What it would it take to send video images from a cellphone whose SIM can be traced back to me? What kind of courage, what kind of despair and what kind of blind frustration would it take for a million ordinary people like me to gather in hordes and put everything they have on the line just so that their voice is heard?

That's what happens when voices are squashed for years and years and years. This is what happens when a few power hungry people believe that they can actually control the human spirit and tell it what to do, how to behave and what to feel.

So I sit in front of my television, watch with my heart in my mouth as these brave Iranians fight for their right to be human.

No comments:

Post a Comment