Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Happy Independence Day

Patriotism isn't it. Plus I'm going in to work so it's not about the mid-week holiday.
But I do like this day. How wonderful it is to celebrate freedom. How terrible it is to live in a cage.

Today's a good day then, to be thankful for the number of ways in which I'm free and to take serious note of the ways in which I'm not.

I used to get annoyed when I heard people taking their freedoms for granted, not being grateful enough or feeling entitled. But lately I've changed my stance somewhat. The best kind of freedom, methinks, is the kind where you don't even notice it anymore.

This gentleman, Ai Weiwei, helps put it in perspective.

As a corollary, I suppose the worst kind of enslavement is when you're trapped and you don't even notice it anymore.

Street Art by Banksy (London 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment